The new material concept was found in England in 1977: the product is now known as Glass Fiber Reinforced Gypsum, also Referred to as Fiberglass Reinforced Gypsum (GFRG) and Glass Reinforced Gypsum (GRG).
- The material is made of gypsum plaster reinforced with glass fibers to produce a thin, lightweight, yet strong material. GRG is used where it is not subject to Dampness. Moreover, it can be used wherever a light, strong, and fire-retardant material is required. GRC comes in many shapes and products moldings, ceilings, columns, light coves, bas-relief, domes, capitals, fireplace surrounds, medallions, and custom shapes.
- Gypsum can be reinforced with common E-glass fibers. Unlike cement, gypsum is not high in alkaline and does not generate lime while it is curing. Therefore, Gypsum has an advantage over unmodified cement matrixes. However, gypsum has poor weather resistance abilities, and is only suitable for indoor applications. Research programs have shown that Modified GRG has good mechanical and physical properties, which enables the material to be used for a wide range of applications. The material shows improved weather resistance that makes it possible to use the product outdoors. The material has been used successfully for manufacturing architectural Cladding panels, decorative ornamentation, and column covers, flowerpots.
- GRG is a mineral and it will not burn. Moreover, the nature of gypsum acts like a thermal regulator when exposed to flame. Not only will the GRC not burn, but also it will protect the material behind it for up to two hours.
- GRG is 25% light in weight compared to traditional stone or plaster ornaments, making its installation quick and easy.
- GRG can be molded into a wide variety of shapes.
- GRG offers a wide range of finishes smooth, rough, paint coat, and acid wash. Moreover, the color of the GRC does not change over time.
- With a high impact resistance, GRG is strong and is not prone to cracking. It lasts a long time.
- GRC absorbs less water compared to gypsum, and therefore has long-term performance abilities. It will not rust or rot.